Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit Brings a Revelation of Christ!!

I found this marvellous testimony in Jonathan Edwards Works where he wrote of an incredible encounter with the Holy Spirit. It really highlights for me Ern Baxter's point that the key result of the Baptism of the Spirit is to make plain the present and continuing work of Jesus Christ.

Just reading it made me long that all believers may experience this!

"I had a view, that for me was extraordinary, of the glory of the Son of God as Mediator between God and man, and His wonderful, great, full, pure and sweet grace and love and meek and gentle condecension. This grace that appeared so calm and sweet appeared also great above the heavens. The Person of Christ appeared ineffably excellent, with an excellency great enough to swallow up all thought and conception - which continued as near as I can judge about an hour; which kept me the greater part of the time in a flood of tears and weeping aloud.

I felt an ardency of soul to be, what I know not otherwise how to express, emptied and annihilated, to lie in the dust and to be full of Christ alone, to love Him with a holy and pure love; to trust in Him, to live upon Him, to serve and follow Him, and to be perfectly sanctified and made pure with a divine and heavenly purity".

(Reference: Jonathan Edwards - "Works - Volume 1" - Banner of Truth (1961) - (pxvii, p299f).

No comments: